Grab your fabric, grab your thread; the sewing room door is now open… come on in. 🪡♡
I Miss When the Internet Felt Like a Place
Which is weird because I’m quite literally on the internet as we speak...
The internet nowadays is full of AI, influencers, OnlyFans models, ads, algorithms, and everyone trying to sell you something. And listen, I’m only 24. I grew up with the internet. I’m not sitting here pretending I remember some ancient world before Wi-Fi existed. But I DO remember when the internet felt completely different.
I miss when Facebook was a website. Like, you sat down at the family computer, logged onto Facebook and played OG FarmVille for an embarrassing amount of time.
And PURPLE PLACE???
Please tell me somebody else remembers Purble Place because that game had me in a CHOKEHOLD as a child. The little cake game??? I was basically a pastry chef at 8 years old.
I would spend my days taking BuzzFeed quizzes to find out extremely important information about myself, like which Disney princess I was based on my favorite pizza topping. I’d sing karaoke at the top of my lungs when my parents left me home alone. I’d click through random websites just because they looked fun.
There wasn't really a point.
That was kind of the point.
I miss when Instagram was actually about the photos and not how many likes, followers or views you could get.
I miss when Snapchat was about sending your friends the ugliest picture physically possible and using the dog filter, not building a following or making money from your Snap Story.
I miss when Musical.ly was this weird little app that barely anyone knew about.
AND I MISS TUMBLR.
What a TIME to be alive.
Your entire personality could be a Tumblr page. Your favorite songs, blurry pictures, quotes that felt incredibly deep at 14, random GIFs, fandoms, outfits you wanted, places you wanted to go. You weren't building a “personal brand.” You were just... a person on the internet.
And I think that's the part I miss.
The internet used to feel like somewhere you went.
Now it feels like something that follows you everywhere.
It’s hard to disconnect from life when our real lives have become so intertwined with doomscrolling and short-form content. Everything is quick. Scroll. Watch. Swipe. Next. Scroll. Watch. Swipe. Next.
And I won't lie and act like I'm above it because I AM NOT.
I doomscroll.
I open instagram. I watch YouTube while I eat. I pick up my phone to check one thing and somehow emerge 45 minutes later knowing the entire life story of a woman I have never met.
But I've also noticed that the older I get, the more I crave things that are... slow.
I sew.
I'm learning how to cross-stitch.
I love making things with my hands. I like decorating things just because they're cute. I like sitting down and actually watching a movie instead of watching 47 clips from it on TikTok. I love handwritten notes and hobbies that take hours to finish.
And now apparently I have a BLOG in 2026.
Honestly, that tracks.
I've always said I was born in the wrong decade. I think I was born to be an old soul trying to survive in a new-age world.
Maybe that's why I wanted Behind the Seams to feel the way it does.
I didn't want another perfectly clean website with three beige buttons and everything strategically placed to make you click something.
I wanted a little corner of the internet.
I wanted notebook paper and an iPod. I wanted flowers and silly little buttons and a cursor that has absolutely no reason to be cute other than the fact that I wanted it to be cute.
I wanted you to feel like you were opening somebody's bedroom door in 2009 and sitting down at their computer while music played in the background.
I wanted the internet to feel like a place again.
Even if it's just this tiny little one.
So maybe this blog is my rebellion against the algorithm.
No 15-second video.
No “wait until the end.”
No trending audio.
Just me, typing entirely too much into my little internet diary while probably watching YouTube in the background.
And if you're here reading it instead of scrolling...
hi ♡
Stay awhile.
The sewing room door is always open. 🪡
Omg I am also 24 and this is something I constantly think about. But FarmVille!!! Ohhh my gosh. My grandma made me a whole new Facebook account because I kept messing her with her farm hahaha.
ReplyDeleteI also like overcomplicating myself with slower hobbies just to feel something, you know? I love watching videos about neuroscience research on what happens to our brains when we make things with our hands (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4BKRcqgBY8), it motivates me to keep knitting, keep sewing, keep drawing even though I'm terrible, and keep learning embroidery. Speaking of hand-stitching, cross-stitch sounds so fun! I hope you show us all the cute things you make!
I don't think we'll ever be able to bring that feeling back about the old internet, corporations are just too greedy to care about the harm of social media addiction; but with having our own places like personal blogs, we can definitely get closer to it <3
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteAlso, Eliora from XOXO Introvert Girl made a post about Halloween nostalgia and I think you might like it because it goes along with our nostalgic feelings about how much simpler things used to be. ♡
ReplyDeleteOoo I will check it out!
Delete